Philanthropy – The Jill Heiman Vision Fund
This grant fund honors the memory of Jill Heiman, the Fair’s founding attorney. It supports tax-exempt organizations in Lane County involved in an annually selected focus area such as environmental protection or basic human needs. Donations are provided by Fair volunteers, artists, staff, performers and guests.
This year we will be accepting grant proposals for Basic Needs. See our Guidelines for application details.
Anyone coming to or participating in the Fair can donate to the Vision Fund during the event. Please visit our Information Booths scattered throughout the Fair site to drop off your donation.
Thanks to these many generous donors, the fund recently donated $34,654 to six nonprofit groups meeting basic needs. This year’s donations will provide:
• Starter cooking kits at Laurel Hill Center so people with mental illness can take home pots and pans needed for making the healthy recipes they learned in cooking class;
• Basic food provisions for the Assistance League’s Weekend Food Pantry Program serving River Road and Howard elementary schools in Eugene, plus easily prepared, nutritious food for the Weekend Backpack program for preschoolers with parents who have developmental disabilities;
• Two new exam tables with warming drawers and a new microscope for Planned Parenthood of Southwest Oregon’s Regional Health and Education Center;
• Funds for the Urgent Necessities Fund at Pearl Buck Center to serve people with developmental disabilities and their families; • Funds for the Emergency Support Fund serving low-income seniors over age 60 in urban and rural areas of Lane County through the Lane Senior Support Coalition;
• Bus passes to give low-income people in the Fern Ridge community access to jobs, health care, education, and other basic travel needs through Mid Lane Cares’ Project Urban Access program.
Jill Heiman, who died in 1991, was an early Fair attorney largely responsible for the Fair’s original land purchase. Vision Fund donations honor her commitment to community. Over the years, the Jill Heiman Vision Fund has donated more than $420,000. One dollar and one food voucher at a time, our wonderful donors help make a difference in our community. Thank you!
Philanthropy was the catalyst that began the Oregon Country Fair, has been essential to developing its long-lived success, and will provide opportunities that further its mission into the future.